Where are the Best Places that are suitable for Outdoor Lighting?
Outdoor lighting is not only an extremely effective way of illuminating outdoor spaces, it can also provide increased security and an effective deterrent against intruders. However, to make your lighting setup as valuable as possible, the placement of these lights is very important.
Although there is often a determination as to which area certain lights should be installed in, the exact location can make a bigger difference than you think.
It is important for comfort and safety that entry points are well lit. Proper placement of lighting fixtures in these areas can further enhance these factors.
It is recommended that the main entrance, usually a front door, be fitted with two lights approximately three quarters the height of the doorway. The specific height of these lights is important for two reasons. First, they should be placed high enough to illuminate not only the front door, but also at least a few steps in front of the door. Second, placing the lights too low results in exposure to strong light directly at eye level, which isn’t a comfortable experience for anyone.
Doors that are not considered primary entry points, such as side and rear doors, continue to follow the same recommended heights, but a single device will suffice in these areas.
Ground Lights/Various Garden Lights
Many of us use different types of garden lighting to create a warm and inviting outdoor space, and arranging this type of lighting correctly will ensure that each light fixture is as effective as possible.
If your outdoor area has a lighting arrangement that consists of multi-level fixtures, such as a combination of ground and wall fixtures, fixtures such as bollards or pole lights should be spaced between 0.3 and 0.6 meters (1-2 feet) in height, so as not to create larger shadows that would reduce the effectiveness of higher-placed lights.
If you want to illuminate a path, an even light distribution with a distance of about 3 to 6 feet between each light not only makes for an aesthetically pleasing setup, but also ensures the right visibility.
For security lights, the required placement is slightly higher as they need to be high enough to be out of reach for potential intruders trying to sabotage the lights.
Security lights should be installed between 2.4 and 2.7 meters (8-9 feet) off the ground to ensure the lights cannot be easily reached and tampered with.
Security lights come in many forms, from subtle floodlights to more robust floodlights, and there are a few considerations to keep in mind with floodlights.
If you decide to use floodlights, it is important to place them in places that will not disturb anyone outside your private property. It is best to inquire about this with your neighbors or even with your municipal administration before installing it.
FAQs about the Best Places for Outdoor Lighting:
Q: Where are the best places to put outdoor lighting?
A: The best places to put outdoor lighting depend on the specific needs of the property. However, some common areas include:
- Pathways and driveways: Outdoor lighting can help to illuminate pathways and driveways, making them safer for walking and driving at night.
- Front entrances: Outdoor lighting can help to illuminate front entrances, making them more welcoming and inviting.
- Porches and patios: Outdoor lighting can help to create a warm and inviting atmosphere on porches and patios.
- Steps and stairs: Outdoor lighting can help to illuminate steps and stairs, making them safer to use at night.
- Outdoor furniture: Outdoor lighting can help to highlight outdoor furniture and create a more inviting atmosphere.
- Security: Outdoor lighting can also be used for security purposes, deterring crime and making the property more visible to passersby.
Q: What are some factors to consider when choosing outdoor lighting?
A: When choosing outdoor lighting, there are a few factors to consider, such as:
- The purpose of the lighting: Is it for safety, security, or ambiance?
- The size of the area to be lit: How much light do you need?
- The climate: Will the lights be exposed to the elements?
- The budget: How much are you willing to spend?
- The style: What kind of look do you want to achieve?
Q: What are some different types of outdoor lighting?
A: There are many different types of outdoor lighting available, including:
- Floodlights: Floodlights are a type of outdoor lighting that casts a wide beam of light. They are often used for security purposes.
- Path lights: Path lights are a type of outdoor lighting that is designed to illuminate pathways. They are often made of glass or metal and have a low profile.
- Post lights: Post lights are a type of outdoor lighting that is mounted on posts. They are often used to illuminate driveways and walkways.
- Spotlights: Spotlights are a type of outdoor lighting that casts a concentrated beam of light. They are often used to highlight specific features, such as trees or sculptures.
- Landscape lighting: Landscape lighting is a type of outdoor lighting that is designed to create a soft, ambient glow. It is often used to highlight landscaping features, such as trees and shrubs.
Q: What are some tips for choosing outdoor lighting?
A: Here are some tips for choosing outdoor lighting:
- Consider the purpose of the lighting.
- Choose lights that are appropriate for the size of the area to be lit.
- Make sure the lights are weatherproof if they will be exposed to the elements.
- Set a budget and stick to it.
- Choose lights that match the style of your home or property.
If you are installing a new outdoor lighting installation or upgrading an existing one, now that you know how to arrange your fixtures for maximum efficiency you can browse our range to find the perfect outdoor lighting products for you.